Thursday, October 2, 2008

Potty training saga...

Tyler has been in underwear for almost 3 months and so far has done pretty well, but.....

I decided in July that before I came back to work (about 2 weeks before) that I would start potty training him. On a Saturday morning we made Tyler throw away all his diapers and told him he was a big boy now and he gets to use the big potty from now on. I think the act of actually throwing the diapers away got through to him a bit better than just starting cold turkey.
So, for the past two and a half months we have had our share of accidents and I understand that, but yesterday the kid did something I just don't get...
He told us he had to go #2. We said " okay Ty, lets go to the potty" He gets in there, sits down and then says he is done. He hasn't done a thing. We fight him all night because we can clearly see he needs to go. We even promise to take him to the park once he goes. He kept telling us he doesn't want to go and so we finally let him go outside and watch daddy change the oil on mommies car.
Well... I come out to watch daddy too and all the sudden I see Ty run up the stairs into the house, he looks like he is finally heading to the bathroom. After waiting about 3 minutes I decide to go in and check on him. The minute I walk through the door I see him, standing there in a puddle and he has clearly gone #2. (Sorry to Gross everyone out, I just need you all to feel my pain). He is literally standing by the bathroom door. I just don't understand why he would rather go in his pants than in the toilet. I know with boys it's a lot harder to train them, But he is such a smart boy and I think sometimes he does it just to have control. Ughhhh...
I made him clean up his own mess (well as much as he could) and had him take a coldish shower to try to get through to him that this was just not the way to go potty.

If anyone else has any ideas on the Poop saga let me know... Hopefully I made a bit of a impression on him and he will think twice about doing it next time.

2 comments:

Tracie said...

OK! That is a challenge! Carter did poop on the floor once but I was in the shower and he had diareah, need I say more? But here is the thing. Carter doesn't go poop by himself still. If he needs to poop we both run to the potty together and I get him situated and then I leave till he is done. Maybe I am waiting n him too much. Anyway, it is a thought. Maybe he just couldn't get on the potty fast enough. I am glad you wrote it down though, it is good blackmail for later!

Stacy said...

I so feel your pain!! I too have a 3 year old that resists using the potty. I've asked and read anything I could get my hands on and everything/everyone just said all of the sudden it just clicks and they start to go. Can I tell you - 3-4 months of sheer agony, laundry, screaming and crying have finally paid off. Just this last week he finally started to poop on the potty.

One suggestion though: We put a bag of M&M's in the bathroom - up high. We would sit him on the potty when we heard him tooting or knew it should be time for a BM and put 5 M&M's on the counter and leave. We would secretly watch sometimes, but for every push he got to eat 1 candy. Hopefully after several good pushes - things ought to be on their way out. Good Luck - I can truly sympathize for you!