Monday, May 3, 2010

My transformation

I was inspired by one of my fellow blogger friends (thanks Sarah) to show you my transformation from curly to straight hair. As some of you may know, I have always had very naturally curly hair ever since I hit puberty. I thought it would be fun to show a few pics throughout the years of my hair. I was teased all throughout junior and high school for my curls or frieze hair. I never even tried to straighten my hair. I didn't have a clue how to even do it. I thought that it may have involved a clothes iron but that is all I knew.In high school I embraced my curls and tried to make the curl more of a true curl instead of waves. I would sit on a bar-stool in the bathroom and curl my hair with a giant curling iron to make large ringlets. I liked this look for a while but it took hours to get it how I liked, so I only did it for about 2 years or so.After I had been married for a few years, Braden got me a gift card to a day spa. I thought that this was my chance to go straight and learn the process. My hair was down to my behind when I went in that day. I met Lindsay ( who is awesome and has helped me so much). When I called to make my appointment I asked for someone who knew a lot about natural curl. Lindsay is who they gave me and I have been going to her ever since. She is now in her own salon in her home if anyone wants her name.Anywho... here is a look back.

This is where it gets wild... I am warning you now.


High school senior pic:


Braden and I:


Graduation:


Our wedding:


Shortly before going to get it straightened:


Okay, so this is my twice weekly routine.
Start with freshly washed hair.


The necessary tools:


I use smoothing gel, round brush and molding wax to finish the job.


My lovely assistant:


After blow drying it out:


Start with the underneath section:


After blowing and straight ironing the first section:


Next section:


After round brushing and straight ironing:


Almost done!


One piece left:


Done!!


So there you have it.
Pretty scary.
All in the name of beauty, the things we won't do....

2 comments:

Tonya K said...

I LOVE IT! So glad someone else shares my hair history. You had some awesome pics too! I have plenty that I could post but thankfully they are all at my mom's :) I have done the perm to straighten it before - maybe I'll do that again. It does help relax it. Seriously, mine has gotten curlier since I've had kids! I was hoping I'd be one of those lucky ones that it would go straight. Thanks for sharing!

Tracie said...

I love your hair both ways, but like straight for right now! It is a lot of work! I have to round brush and flat iron my hair everyday... it is too curly to not flat iron, but not curly enough to leave curly... That is why it is short :)

Loved the flash back pics! Good times! glad I wasn't in there anywhere. Miss you and your cute mom and dad!